Knowing how to make a complaint

Making a complaint can be a daunting task, so knowing who you can complain to and what to do is essential. 

We can help you. We've worked with Healthwatch England to produce straightforward advice will guide you through the process from knowing who to talk to, top tips on what to do and what you can expect from services in response. 

Read our complaints advice

Tips and tools for making a complaint

Complaints advocacy services

Every area of England has an independent NHS complaints advocacy service funded by the local authority. 

They can help you make a complaint about an NHS service or work out what you want to achieve from a complaint. They can also help you write letters, prepare for meetings or accompany you to a meeting if needed. 

It can be helpful to talk through the complain with an independent professional to ensure you are prepared for the process. 

An advocate will not try to persuade you to take any particular action and will always respect your decisions. 

The service is free of charge and open to everyone. 

You will need to contact your local authority to find out who holds your local advocacy service contract.

Contact your local authority

Patient Advice Liaison Service

Patient Advice Liaison Service (PALS) are there to give you information and advice, help to resolve a problem and give advice about making a complaint. 

Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust Patient and family experience team

01872  252793  ​​​​​

Cornwall Partnership Foundations Trust PALS

01208  834620

Plymouth Hospitals PALS

01752  439884

Contact PALS service